Monday, November 24, 2014

Born on Christmas Day...

Hey ya'll!
So I know it has been FAR TOO LONG since I have last posted...
I am sorry. I have been pretty busy with applying to grad school and all of the essays, emails, and calls that are associated with that process.. the whole process pretty much burned me out the past couple of weeks. Still have the interview part to do in December, and then I shall just wait to hear what the next steps will be..

Anywhooos, since it is OFFICIALLY holiday time (YAY!), Thanksgiving and Christmas have been on my mind a ton lately. I am not sure how many of you know but I was born on Christmas Day way back about 24 years ago. I was about a week early (I was supposed to be born January 3rd but I guess I just really wanted to officially join my family for Christmas!)


When I was younger, my birthday on Christmas was like the best thing ever. All my friends would ask, "So do you get gipped on your birthday, then since its Christmas too?" and my answer would always be.."No way! My family gets me birthday presents and then Christmas presents separately!" I was never really bragging about that fact, because it just meant that my family made it a point to celebrate the days separately but on the same day... (confusing I know)
We have my birthday cake, every year, after Christmas brunch at Grandpa's house, and my family gives me my "Christmas presents" first with everyone else's, then they give me my birthday presents after the Christmas ones are all done. I have always thought my mom and the rest of my family have done a great job in making me feel special despite the fact that Christmas is a day that everyone should feel special.
I thought this was SUPER funny - I had to share!
asthebunnyhops.com

When I was younger, I LOVED Christmas and all that came with it (I still do), but I had a clear view in my head that it was my birthday first and then I let it sink in that it was Christmas as well. I was always in the Christmas spirit for all of December, and I knew what Christmas was truly about, but the 25th was Dana's birthday to me.. (I honestly think most young children feel that way about their birthday..) Now that I am older, things are a bit different though..I much more consider Christmas Day as Christmas and not as my birthday.

Last year was the first year I felt like a chicken with my head cut off on Christmas day.. I enjoyed every moment of the day, however I felt a bit rushed and apprehensive that I wanted to be here at this time, and then there at that time. This was the first year I was out of my mom's house and the first year that Greg's parents didn't have Christmas dinner at their house...

Christmas/birthday morning I woke up around 8:30ish, got ready and headed over to mama's for Christmas morning present swapping just the 2 of us. Then we headed over to Grandpa's for 11:30 Christmas brunch and Greg met us there. From there, I went back to mom's and said goodbye to her for the rest of the day..then we headed up to Greg's mom and dad's house to exchange with them, and from there we went to his Aunt and Uncle's house to have Christmas dinner and exchange presents. Then, at around 9PM, Greg and I came straight back to my apartment to exchange presents and hang out with Sylver and Nick.
I wasn't home "relaxing" until almost 10:30, but it was Christmas and it was VERY important to me to see my mom, Greg, my family, Greg's family, and friends all on this day. If I didn't see any of those 5 people/groups of people on Christmas/birthday, I would be super sad. It is kind of a double-edged, but totally happy, sword. (Luckily, I have a wonderful boyfriend who always finds ways to celebrate my birthday in the days after Christmas, and it is there where I truly do feel that this is the time to celebrate my birthday.)

Last year I was able to fit all of my "must-have" Christmas visits in..it was just a very LONG day with TONS of driving. This year, I will try to give myself a bit of a break and make sure I am doing what I want while also doing my happy Christmas visits. Once we officially move in together, I am sure Greg and I will figure out ways to split up the family time on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day bit better than we did last year, while also leaving some time on Christmas to see my friends for my birthday. As relationships continue to grow and blossom, their family becomes your family even before you get married, and you genuinely do want to see both sides on holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving, but sometimes it can be a bit too much. Finding ways to compromise with time is a great way to make that transition easier.
SO FUNNY..
someecards.com
I don't think I will ever have a "relaxing" birthday and I am totally OK with it, because I was blessed with having my birthday on the same day that almost everyone is truly super happy and celebrating what true Joy really is. Christmas is, and will always be, my favorite holiday of the year and it isn't because of the presents or because it is my birthday.. It's because it is the one day that I can see everyone that means the world to me be happy and together.. The Birthday hugs that I get are a SUPER AWESOME plus as well. ;)



xo Dana 





***Maxxie Side Note
I swear he is the most photogenic pup

No comments:

Post a Comment